Aalto Digi Strengths
Aalto is #1 in Finland, and in the best 1% worldwide. See the left-hand panel for our main research areas in digitalization.
Leading university in Finland
Aalto University is the leading university in Finland in the field of digitalization in the number of students, professors, publications and funding:
Over 400 Master's degrees and about 100 Doctoral degrees per year
Aalto's students earn about 100 000 study credit points in various fields of digitalization per year
About 80 professors directly focused on digitalization, and another 80 in applications
50 MEur competitive research funding per year
In the best 1% universities worldwide
In a worldwide comparison, Aalto is ranked into 150-200 in the most important university ranking systems in the field of ICT. That is, Aalto belongs to the best 1% of all universities. For example:
- At Microsoft Academic Search, Aalto is the 11th best university in the world, and the best European university, in the field of "computer science / machine learning and pattern recognition", in terms of publication citations.
- In a recent USN&WR university ranking Aalto was ranked 83th in computer science, the only Finnish university in top 100, and 20th among European universities! See more on computer science results in this page. The U.S. News rankings, based on schools' academic research and reputation, allow students to compare universities around the world.
Showcases of Aalto's research excellence in the area
- COMP – Centre of Excellence in Computational Nanophysics (Academy of Finland)
- COIN - Finnish Centre of Excellence in Computational Inference Research (Academy of Finland)
- ReSoLVE - Centre of Excellence in Research on Solar Long-Term Variability and Effects (Academy of Finland)
- Centre of Excellence in Laser Scanning Research (Academy of Finland)
- During the last few years, Aalto has had several other Centres of Excellence of the Academy of Finland: Algodan, Generic and Intelligent Machines, Smarad
- 6 - 7 ERC Grant awardees
- Re:Know - Revolution of Knowledge Work, Digital Health Revolution and Living Factories Programme are Tekes's large strategic openings for up to 5 years, each using ICT and digitalization as core ingredients
Aalto also cooperates strongly with other players in the field: Helsinki Institute for Information Technology HIIT is a joint institute of Aalto and University of Helsinki. EIT Digital is a large European research and innovation network having one node at Helsinki, at Aalto University.